From: Eric Moncrieff <eric@××××.org>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Why not vi?
Date: Fri, 24 May 2002 19:14:28
1 Hello Gentoo Team,
2
3 I installed Gentoo today, and am largly very impressed by what I see.
4 Many of my favourite BSDisms are here, as are most of the vital System
5 V features. In short, great work!
6
7 However, there's one thing I'm really unclear on. You left out any
8 mention of the old UNIX standard editor, vi. I've used many, many
9 different UNIXen over the years, and the *only* things which *always*
10 worked were /bin/sh and /usr/bin/vi. They were sometimes in different
11 places, but vi always, *always* was around somewhere. Not in Gentoo.
12
13 When I discovered, to my surprise, that I was forced to use nano, I
14 immediately decided to take your Portage system for a spin, and typed
15 'emerge app-editors/vi'. Vi was built from source (though I'm not
16 clear on which particular vi you used). However, when I tried to run
17 it, it segfaulted. So I was stuck with nano.
18
19 So I tried 'emerge app-editors/vim', which built all of X for me (I
20 have to remember the --pretend option). This was fine, but it took a
21 long time, and all I wanted to do was edit my startup scripts.
22
23 So now I've got a working vi, which I'm happy about. Of course, after
24 kde finishes building, I'm going to build emacs, so I won't be using
25 my new vi very much, but still...For all this long time, we've been
26 able to count on vi as the quick, omnipresent editor. But not for
27 Gentoo.
28
29 Why not?
30
31 Thanks again for your cool distribution. I'm really enjoying
32 interacting with it; it's sane and clean. I just like vi.
33
34 Eric
35 **
36 Eric Moncrieff eric@×××××××××××.org
37
38 "If, in your bold creative way, you hold yourself free to draw a
39 giraffe with a short neck, you will really find that you are not
40 free to draw a giraffe." --G. K. Chesterton
41 **
42 GPG Fingerprint: C278 AECC 3292 C26B E9DA 0FD7 EE20 4AA7 E1AD 0D79