From: Jack Morgan <yojack@××××××××××××.jp>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Why not vi?
Date: Fri, 24 May 2002 20:29:40
1 On Fri, May 24, 2002 at 08:10:17PM -0400, Eric Moncrieff wrote:
2 > Hello Gentoo Team,
3 >
4 > I installed Gentoo today, and am largly very impressed by what I see.
5 > Many of my favourite BSDisms are here, as are most of the vital System
6 > V features. In short, great work!
7 >
8 > However, there's one thing I'm really unclear on. You left out any
9 > mention of the old UNIX standard editor, vi. I've used many, many
10 > different UNIXen over the years, and the *only* things which *always*
11 > worked were /bin/sh and /usr/bin/vi. They were sometimes in different
12 > places, but vi always, *always* was around somewhere. Not in Gentoo.
13 >
14 > When I discovered, to my surprise, that I was forced to use nano, I
15 > immediately decided to take your Portage system for a spin, and typed
16 > 'emerge app-editors/vi'. Vi was built from source (though I'm not
17 > clear on which particular vi you used). However, when I tried to run
18 > it, it segfaulted. So I was stuck with nano.
19 >
20 > So I tried 'emerge app-editors/vim', which built all of X for me (I
21 > have to remember the --pretend option). This was fine, but it took a
22 > long time, and all I wanted to do was edit my startup scripts.
23 >
24 > So now I've got a working vi, which I'm happy about. Of course, after
25 > kde finishes building, I'm going to build emacs, so I won't be using
26 > my new vi very much, but still...For all this long time, we've been
27 > able to count on vi as the quick, omnipresent editor. But not for
28 > Gentoo.
31 emerge app-editor/nvi works for me. No need for all those dependencies.
35 jack_morgan