From: Samuli Suominen <ssuominen@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] On the usefulness of eclass changelog
Date: Wed, 31 Oct 2012 18:39:28
1 On 31/10/12 20:17, Rich Freeman wrote:
2 > On Wed, Oct 31, 2012 at 12:15 PM, Samuli Suominen <ssuominen@g.o> wrote:
3 >> eclass/ handling should go to repoman and the automated ChangeLog process,
4 >> should be rather straight forward for knowing person.
5 >
6 > Perhaps, but right now the policy is to update it, so do it. The
7 > policy is also to post eclass changes for review on -dev, so do that
8 > too. That means do it BEFORE you commit it. I don't care if you post
9 > it raw, or post a link to a file, or post a link to a proposed commit
10 > on your private little git branch, but don't commit it and then send
11 > out a link to the commit in production after the fact.
12 >
13 > This whole double-thread is ridiculous. If somebody at work
14 > deliberately violated a dumb policy and pointed out it was dumb, the
15 > answer would be, "thanks, we'll look into changing the dumb policy,
16 > now pack up your desk to make room for the new employee who can
17 > benefit from the improved policy."
18 >
19 > If you don't like the rules feel free to whine, beg, and plead to QA,
20 > the council, $DIETY, or your mother, but follow the rules until
21 > they're changed. There is always room for mistakes, but big projects
22 > don't work when everybody just does whatever they feel like doing.
23
24 I'd expect the file to be zeroed out after the repoman has been fixed to
25 cover eclass/ as inconsistent ChangeLog equals useless ChangeLog
26
27 And indeed this is ridicilous as the claims of not following rules has
28 not been even broken.
29 The eclass was sent to ML months ago already, and the conserns from back
30 then have been counted in already for:
31
32 http://gentoo.2317880.n4.nabble.com/rfc-udev-rules-eclass-td45792.html
33
34 How many times are you required to do that before pushing it in? Last
35 minute changes were made, yes, but this is no new news that it was
36 coming in.
37
38 - Samuli