From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] On the usefulness of eclass changelog
Date: Wed, 31 Oct 2012 18:18:53
1 On Wed, Oct 31, 2012 at 12:15 PM, Samuli Suominen <ssuominen@g.o> wrote:
2 > eclass/ handling should go to repoman and the automated ChangeLog process,
3 > should be rather straight forward for knowing person.
4
5 Perhaps, but right now the policy is to update it, so do it. The
6 policy is also to post eclass changes for review on -dev, so do that
7 too. That means do it BEFORE you commit it. I don't care if you post
8 it raw, or post a link to a file, or post a link to a proposed commit
9 on your private little git branch, but don't commit it and then send
10 out a link to the commit in production after the fact.
11
12 This whole double-thread is ridiculous. If somebody at work
13 deliberately violated a dumb policy and pointed out it was dumb, the
14 answer would be, "thanks, we'll look into changing the dumb policy,
15 now pack up your desk to make room for the new employee who can
16 benefit from the improved policy."
17
18 If you don't like the rules feel free to whine, beg, and plead to QA,
19 the council, $DIETY, or your mother, but follow the rules until
20 they're changed. There is always room for mistakes, but big projects
21 don't work when everybody just does whatever they feel like doing.
22
23 Rich