From: Samuli Suominen <ssuominen@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] On the usefulness of eclass changelog
Date: Wed, 31 Oct 2012 16:21:46
1 On 31/10/12 17:39, Alexis Ballier wrote:
2 > On Wed, 31 Oct 2012 11:35:41 -0400
3 > Ian Stakenvicius <axs@g.o> wrote:
4 >
6 >> Hash: SHA256
7 >>
8 >> On 31/10/12 11:26 AM, Alexis Ballier wrote:
9 >>> On Tue, 30 Oct 2012 18:39:44 -0600 Ryan Hill
10 >>> <dirtyepic@g.o> wrote: [...]
11 >>>>> The file is pointless if not everyone is using it. I've
12 >>>>> offered to remove the file before, and I'm reoffering to do so
13 >>>>> now.
14 >>>>
15 >>>> It's pointy enough for most uses. Let's keep it that way.
16 >>>
17 >>> I would like to know what are those uses. Here are my thoughts
18 >>> about changelogs:
19 >>>
20 >>> We have cvs logs, cvsweb, etc. So what is the value added from
21 >>> changelogs? Well, those logs are per-file as far as I know, and
22 >>> since a new version of a package means a new .ebuild file, keeping
23 >>> track of changes to packages is painful without a changelog which
24 >>> is global to the whole package. Even if we have all the needed
25 >>> information in the cvs log, changelogs for packages are definitely
26 >>> useful. Now for eclasses the situation is different: I want to
27 >>> know what has recently changed in foo.eclass, what is the fastest
28 >>> way? Search through a changelog file with dozens of absolutely
29 >>> unrelated information, or run cvs log/go to sources.gentoo.org ? I
30 >>> tend to do the latter and find eclass changelogs completely
31 >>> useless.
32 >>>
33 >>
34 >> Cool, you do, that's great. This doesn't mean others don't use a
35 >> different process tho, and since it *IS* there and is *SUPPOSED* to be
36 >> filled, and it really doesn't hurt to run 'echangelog "${msg}" && cvs
37 >> ci -m "${msg}"' , why not do it?
38 >
39 > so that others are not encouraged to work sub-optimally :)
42 eclass/ handling should go to repoman and the automated ChangeLog
43 process, should be rather straight forward for knowing person.