From: Alexis Ballier <aballier@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Cc: axs@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] On the usefulness of eclass changelog
Date: Wed, 31 Oct 2012 15:40:41
1 On Wed, 31 Oct 2012 11:35:41 -0400
2 Ian Stakenvicius <axs@g.o> wrote:
3
5 > Hash: SHA256
6 >
7 > On 31/10/12 11:26 AM, Alexis Ballier wrote:
8 > > On Tue, 30 Oct 2012 18:39:44 -0600 Ryan Hill
9 > > <dirtyepic@g.o> wrote: [...]
10 > >>> The file is pointless if not everyone is using it. I've
11 > >>> offered to remove the file before, and I'm reoffering to do so
12 > >>> now.
13 > >>
14 > >> It's pointy enough for most uses. Let's keep it that way.
15 > >
16 > > I would like to know what are those uses. Here are my thoughts
17 > > about changelogs:
18 > >
19 > > We have cvs logs, cvsweb, etc. So what is the value added from
20 > > changelogs? Well, those logs are per-file as far as I know, and
21 > > since a new version of a package means a new .ebuild file, keeping
22 > > track of changes to packages is painful without a changelog which
23 > > is global to the whole package. Even if we have all the needed
24 > > information in the cvs log, changelogs for packages are definitely
25 > > useful. Now for eclasses the situation is different: I want to
26 > > know what has recently changed in foo.eclass, what is the fastest
27 > > way? Search through a changelog file with dozens of absolutely
28 > > unrelated information, or run cvs log/go to sources.gentoo.org ? I
29 > > tend to do the latter and find eclass changelogs completely
30 > > useless.
33 > Cool, you do, that's great. This doesn't mean others don't use a
34 > different process tho, and since it *IS* there and is *SUPPOSED* to be
35 > filled, and it really doesn't hurt to run 'echangelog "${msg}" && cvs
36 > ci -m "${msg}"' , why not do it?
37
38 so that others are not encouraged to work sub-optimally :)