From: "William L. Thomson Jr." <wlt-ml@××××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: Please stay on-topic.
Date: Fri, 09 Dec 2016 20:58:54
1 On Friday, December 9, 2016 3:24:44 PM EST james wrote:
2 > On 12/08/2016 02:15 PM, Andreas K. Huettel wrote:
5 > > Even if I'm repeating myself... Please keep the mailing lists on topic.
6 >
7 > Problems caused by gentoo developer behaviors, are "on topic" for this
8 > list. Your position only serves to obfuscate remedies.
9
10 Be careful, let what happened to me on -project stand as a warning. Short of
11 this reply I am mostly radio silent, no posts, no bugs, no irc, nada... I was
12 encouraged for such. Most do not care about the big picture, just their neck
13 of the woods. Your posts make mine seem abridged :)
14
15 A few select comments, as most rather not hear from me entirely. I will focus
16 on technical ones.
17
18 > Technologies
19 > like Java, could easily be supported should they choose to allow
20 > non-sources into the ebuild process, for their gentoo-forked-distro.
21
22 This is already taking place in Gentoo. There is not the man power, time, or
23 experience for larger Java applications to be packaged. They are going into
24 tree as binaries. Most without even unbundling deps that are packaged in tree.
25
26 > This enables (by active promotion) any individual, corporation or
27 > business to benefit from a deployment of gentoo or a customized version
28 > of gentoo, just like a privileged few corporations have benefited
29 > (google, CoreOS etc). Without many companies at least testing and some
30 > using gentoo, Gentoo is mostly a fiefdom of certain companies. This is
31 > evidenced by the history of devs that work at these companies and have
32 > been or currently are gentoo devs. It's back-channel control, evidenced
33 > by irc and other venues where only certain folks can listen.
34
35 This is the down side of letting everyone work on something that pertains to
36 them. Without any sort of over all leadership, a common goal or direction from
37 the Council. I am not sure Gentoo has had such leadership since the Chief
38 Architect position was eliminated.
39
40 It is one thing for a developer to work in an area, scratch their itch. But as
41 companies hire developers. Those companies can start to take things in their
42 own direction. Largely this has not been a problem, but it lets outside
43 companies indirectly control the direction of Gentoo. If a conflict between
44 companies arises, it could get interesting. Thankfully not an issue and may
45 never become one.
46
47 > WHY (3):: Update the exam every (2) years and require all devs take the
48 > exam to re-qualify.
49
50 Interesting comment as someone who has done the quizzes several times. Most
51 developers do them once and never again. I wonder how many would pass a quiz
52 if they were retested....
53
54 Also something many here are likely not aware. To become a Gentoo Java
55 Developer, there are 3 quizzes. There is a 3rd Gentoo Java Quiz. I am not
56 aware of any other quizzes for other parts of the tree. Which in part goes to
57 show some of the complexities with Java.
58
59 Though it may be beneficial if others come up with their own quizzes, which
60 could be small. There are some nuances to packaging other languages. Not sure
61 if as many as Java to require another quiz, but may help for others joining
62 teams for other languages.
63
64 https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Project:Java/Developer_Quiz
67 William L. Thomson Jr.