From: Fabian Groffen <grobian@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Monthly Gentoo Council Reminder for April
Date: Mon, 06 Apr 2009 17:25:05
1 Ciaran,
2
3 On 02-04-2009 15:47:05 +0100, Ciaran McCreesh wrote:
4 > On Thu, 2 Apr 2009 11:53:47 +0200
5 > Fabian Groffen <grobian@g.o> wrote:
6 >> While the first variable (EPREFIX) can be set using an eclass, the
7 >> latter two need to be set by the package manager. In particular ED,
8 >> because the value of D might not be known. EROOT and ED are
9 >> convenience variables. Making them available already now, even
10 >> though initialised as ROOT and D respectively, allows Prefix enabled
11 >> ebuilds to be shared between gentoo-x86 and Prefix trees without
12 >> modifications.
13 >
14 > Why not just do it properly? Come up with a full list of requirements,
15 > propose a full solution, open it up for feedback and adapt it as
16 > necessary. Then just move the whole thing into a future EAPI.
17
18 Recently we changed our approach from being a new EAPI into blending
19 into any existing EAPI. We can do this, since Prefix is orthogonal to
20 any existing EAPI to date. The mentioned variables simply make life
21 easier, but are not strictly necessary. Unfortunately we can't set them
22 from an eclass, so we need help from the package manager for them.
23
24 > My worry is we'll end up with more legacy mess that package managers
25 > will have to carry on supporting indefinitely, but that won't be used
26 > by anything once prefix goes through the necessary changes to make it
27 > mainstream.
28
29 Limiting Gentoo Prefix ebuilds to a future EAPI will not be acceptable
30 with regards to system packages and we will still have a crappy overlay
31 for a long multi-year period. The fact is, Prefix ebuilds can be used
32 regardless of EAPI in use. We used to do EAPI="prefix <#>" but that was
33 way too much maintance overhead and just recently EAPI=prefix has been
34 killed in favour of full compatability.
35
36 You seem to suggest there are issues, do you have any specific concerns
37 that we can address?
41 Fabian Groffen
42 Gentoo on a different level