From: Mart Raudsepp <leio@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Ideas for a (fast) EAPI=3
Date: Thu, 09 Apr 2009 10:44:34
1 On N, 2009-04-09 at 10:37 +0200, Tiziano Müller wrote:
2 > > properties must be cached properly
3 > > ==================================
4 > >
5 > > No opinion, up to the package manager developers.
6 > > Don't see offhand why it should be an EAPI item at all. Feels like
7 > an
8 > > implementation detail.
9 >
10 > The metadata cache needs to be specified to make it work with
11 > compliant
12 > PM's and is therefore a part of the PMS.
13 > A change is therefore required to be done on a per-EAPI base.
14
15 But the metadata cache isn't per-EAPI in the sense of multiple metadata
16 caches, one for each EAPI. There might be per-EAPI metadata cache items
17 though.
18 Anyhow, if zmedico is cool with it, I'm cool.
19
20 > > Limit values in $USE to ones in $IUSE:
21 > > ======================================
22 > >
23 > > Seems more of a QA test, but forcing it can make it be caught at
24 > start.
25 > > Don't see why it must be an EAPI item. Just vet the tree of
26 > (future?)
27 > > repoman warnings about it and make it happen for
28 > > all EAPIs. Impact on overlays is minimal because it is a QA error to
29 > not
30 > > define them and they get what they asked for.
31 > >
32 > > Not strongly opposed to it being in the EAPI.
33 > >
34 > Why it has to be done in an EAPI: It matters whether you have to put
35 > for
36 > example userland_GNU in IUSE if you want to use it in the ebuild or
37 > not.
38
39 I don't think I want to have to specify userland_GNU and co in IUSE.
40 They aren't USE flags that get set by the user, so having to put them in
41 IUSE isn't intuitive either.
45 > > --disable-dependency-tracking:
46 > > ==============================
47 > >
48 > > possible breakage of (custom) configure scripts that don't accept
49 > > unknown arguments. Would be nice to pass that for most packages, but
50 > > doing it always with econf seems slightly inappropriate, given the
51 > > above.
52 > > Don't think this is an item for fast-tracked EAPI-3.
53 >
54 > custom configure scripts mostly already break with econf, so not an
55 > issue.
56
57 Some might accept all current switches we pass with econf, but not
58 --disable-dependency-tracking.
59 Maybe if there's a way to opt out of the --disable-dependency-tracking
60 when necessary... the unlikely need for that will get seen by the
61 maintainer when he/she upgrades the ebuild to EAPI-3.
62 econf is a complex and long (many arguments passed) beast to replicate
63 just without --disable-dependency-tracking
64
65 > > ban || ( foo? ( . ) . )
66 > > =======================
67 > >
68 > > It is not the business of an EAPI to start disallowing *DEPEND
69 > string
70 > > constructs.
71 > It's EAPI's business to define what's valid and what is not.
72
73 We disagree there. Things should be an EAPI item when it is reasonably
74 required to be. In this case a simple repoman warning on such a
75 construct suffices.
76
77 > > There is no useful alternative provided yet to my knowledge and this
78 > is
79 > > really a QA issue, not an EAPI issue.
80 > The problem is that there is no valid use case to justify the
81 > existence
82 > of this construct. In either way users will most likely not have what
83 > they want if "|| ( foo? ( . ) . )" is being used. Disallowing it will
84 > therefore help the user to get what the specified and is therefore a
85 > good thing.
86
87 Then we should disallow all constructs that currently give a repoman
88 warning as well?
89 It is a QA issue to me, not something to overload an EAPI with.
90 QA warning for all EAPI's.
91
92 > > Not convinced on the sub-optimal use case being the only one,
93 > either.
94 > >
95 > > Strongly objecting on the grounds that it is not something that
96 > should
97 > > be an EAPI issue.
100 > > unpack has to handle more types
101 > > ===============================
102 > >
103 > > Would be nice to get a QA warning when unpacking .lzma, .xz, etc
104 > that
105 > > need a build depend for the unpacker and don't have it yet. Then
106 > sounds
107 > > fine.
108 > But you don't want unpack fail on unknown types? Seems a bit
109 > inconsequent.
110
111 Unknown types in this case is about "not packed at all".
112 Or we could define those types - .patch, .bin, etc
113 PM knows that there's .lzma, .xz and so on, so it could know which
114 build-time deps are necessary - repoman warning anyhow, later some
115 alternative unpacker might surface.
116
117 > > Did I miss anything?
118 > > I'm not even sure anymore where to find a list of items that is
119 > current
120 > > for what's on the table for EAPI-3 right now...
121 > >
122 > The PMS. (just do "emerge pms" for an up-to-date version).
123
124 that's a bit complicated with not having texlive installed anywhere
125 yet...
130 Mart Raudsepp
131 Gentoo Developer
132 Mail: leio@g.o