From: Ciaran McCreesh <ciaran.mccreesh@××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Ideas for a (fast) EAPI=3
Date: Thu, 09 Apr 2009 14:36:56
1 On Thu, 09 Apr 2009 13:44:55 +0300
2 Mart Raudsepp <leio@g.o> wrote:
3 > But the metadata cache isn't per-EAPI in the sense of multiple
4 > metadata caches, one for each EAPI. There might be per-EAPI metadata
5 > cache items though.
6
7 The cache format is per-EAPI, with a degree of overlap.
8
9 > I don't think I want to have to specify userland_GNU and co in IUSE.
10 > They aren't USE flags that get set by the user, so having to put them
11 > in IUSE isn't intuitive either.
12
13 And with the proposal as currently worded, you don't have to. The
14 profiles do that magically for you.
15
16 > Some might accept all current switches we pass with econf, but not
17 > --disable-dependency-tracking.
18
19 'might'? Have you found any? Given the mess econf currently passes, it
20 strikes me as highly unlikely.
21
22 > Then we should disallow all constructs that currently give a repoman
23 > warning as well?
24
25 We should disallow constructs that can't be used correctly, if allowing
26 them is a significant burden on the package manager.
27
28 > Unknown types in this case is about "not packed at all".
29 > Or we could define those types - .patch, .bin, etc
30 > PM knows that there's .lzma, .xz and so on, so it could know which
31 > build-time deps are necessary - repoman warning anyhow, later some
32 > alternative unpacker might surface.
33
34 Uh. Unknown types doesn't mean "fail on lzma if lzma's not installed".
35 Please check the PMS draft for what it does mean.
38 Ciaran McCreesh