From: Samuli Suominen <ssuominen@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: [RFC] Dropping slotted boost
Date: Wed, 31 Oct 2012 07:54:17
1 On 31/10/12 03:03, Diego Elio Pettenò wrote:
2 > On 30/10/2012 17:49, Ryan Hill wrote:
3 >> And I had to argue to get 1.48 fixed. I'm not sure why we have to keep so
4 >> many unbuildable versions in the tree.
5 >
6 > Because as mgorny explained earlier he's expecting some fairy to make it
7 > possible to _always_ install an older boost just because it's slotted.
8 >
9 > Honestly, from what I can tell, Mike is doing, exactly like for ICU, a
10 > direct proxying of commits from a developer that has been explicitly
11 > kicked out by Gentoo, mgorny is in some fantasyland where the presence
12 > of an ebuild makes it possible to build it just because it's slotted
13 > (and his only commit is to add himself to metadata), Tiziano has been
14 > last seen dropping eselect boost in favour of ... nothing, and Sebastian
15 > Luther I have no word of in a long time.
16 >
17 > I'm pretty sure that if the package was moved to cpp, or toolchain, or
18 > whatever, is going to be better maintained by whatever is going on now
19 > even if it's just going to be re-active instead of pro-active.
20 >
21 > In the list of bugs for boost, most of the recently RESOLVED ones are
22 > NOT related to boost itself, but to the reverse dependencies — lots of
23 > them also seem to be due to >=boost-1.50-r2 which is without eselect boost.
24 >
25 > Of the open ones, I'm pretty sure that a lot of them are obsolete such
26 > as bug #334659 "dev-libs/boost is built as non-PIC on amd64", plus we
27 > got a number of trackers, ICEs, stabilization bugs still open, and so on
28 > so forth.
29 >
30 > I have unfortunately a few packages using it; so does Tomáš — KDE and
31 > MySQL depend on it as well. Is there somebody else interested in the
32 > package? We might just want to take this over and restore some sanity.
35 [picked near random mail from this thread, as this seemed most suitable]
36
37 We have been in this situation before where I've had to clean out old
38 boost versions because the toolchain went forward as it should.
39
40 22 Apr 2010; Samuli Suominen <ssuominen@g.o>
41 -boost-1.36.0-r1.ebuild:
42 Remove boost-1.36.0 for gcc-porting wrt #287638.
43
44 So all of this should come as no suprise to anyone.
45
46 - Samuli