From: "Diego Elio Pettenò" <flameeyes@×××××××××.eu>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: [RFC] Dropping slotted boost
Date: Wed, 31 Oct 2012 01:04:16
1 On 30/10/2012 17:49, Ryan Hill wrote:
2 > And I had to argue to get 1.48 fixed. I'm not sure why we have to keep so
3 > many unbuildable versions in the tree.
4
5 Because as mgorny explained earlier he's expecting some fairy to make it
6 possible to _always_ install an older boost just because it's slotted.
7
8 Honestly, from what I can tell, Mike is doing, exactly like for ICU, a
9 direct proxying of commits from a developer that has been explicitly
10 kicked out by Gentoo, mgorny is in some fantasyland where the presence
11 of an ebuild makes it possible to build it just because it's slotted
12 (and his only commit is to add himself to metadata), Tiziano has been
13 last seen dropping eselect boost in favour of ... nothing, and Sebastian
14 Luther I have no word of in a long time.
15
16 I'm pretty sure that if the package was moved to cpp, or toolchain, or
17 whatever, is going to be better maintained by whatever is going on now
18 even if it's just going to be re-active instead of pro-active.
19
20 In the list of bugs for boost, most of the recently RESOLVED ones are
21 NOT related to boost itself, but to the reverse dependencies — lots of
22 them also seem to be due to >=boost-1.50-r2 which is without eselect boost.
23
24 Of the open ones, I'm pretty sure that a lot of them are obsolete such
25 as bug #334659 "dev-libs/boost is built as non-PIC on amd64", plus we
26 got a number of trackers, ICEs, stabilization bugs still open, and so on
27 so forth.
28
29 I have unfortunately a few packages using it; so does Tomáš — KDE and
30 MySQL depend on it as well. Is there somebody else interested in the
31 package? We might just want to take this over and restore some sanity.
34 Diego Elio Pettenò — Flameeyes
35 flameeyes@×××××××××.eu — http://blog.flameeyes.eu/