From: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Re: [GLEP] Use EAPI-suffixed ebuilds (.ebuild-EAPI) [2]
Date: Sat, 22 Dec 2007 18:42:30
1 Daniel Drake <dsd@g.o> posted 476D4FBC.1040203@g.o,
2 excerpted below, on Sat, 22 Dec 2007 17:56:12 +0000:
3
4 >> http://dev.gentoo.org/~peper/glep-0055.html
5 >>
6 >> http://dev.gentoo.org/~peper/glep-0055.txt
7 >
8 > Haven't read the previous discussion, apologies if this has been
9 > clarified already, but I think it would be good to answer the following
10 > question in the GLEP:
11 >
12 > Why (in terms of your GLEP) are you still allowing ebuilds to set EAPI
13 > inside the ebuild?
14 >
15 > It seems that one approach you might take is to move the EAPI selection
16 > into the filename and remove it from the ebuild itself, and it's not
17 > clear to me why your proposal isn't exactly that.
18
19 Actually, that was clarified in this new version. Is the following (from
20 the Application section) sufficient? Maybe pre-source EAPI and post-
21 source EAPI aren't clearly enough defined? (Their def is in the first
22 paragraph under specification.)
23
24 <quote>
25
26 Note that the developers should only set the pre-source EAPI. The process
27 described above is only necessary to avoid undefined behaviour in corner
28 cases and to retain backwards compatibility.
29
30 QA tools may warn if the post-source EAPI is set at all, thus helping with
31 the transition to the new format.
32
33 </quote>
34
35 As I had read the first version, that leapt out at me. Did you just miss
36 it or do you still believe it needs clarified further?
41 and if you use the program, he is your master." Richard Stallman
44 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list