From: james <garftd@×××××××.net>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] why is the security team running around p.masking packages
Date: Tue, 05 Jul 2016 16:42:02
1 On 07/05/2016 08:05 AM, Rich Freeman wrote:
2 > On Tue, Jul 5, 2016 at 8:58 AM, Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com> wrote:
3 >> Big difference. Gentoo's tree is not hosted on github, and infra isn't
4 >> going to put an attic equivalent there.
7 > Either way admittedly git makes finding deleted files a bit of a pain.
8 > However, it is certainly possible:
9 > https://stackoverflow.com/questions/7203515/git-how-to-search-for-a-deleted-file-in-the-project-commit-history
12 OK, but with the attic, you can browse by category, read descriptions to
13 get an idea of what is available. Correct me if I'm wrong, but with
14 github, you have to know the name of the packages and that is a
15 limitation when looking back. The attic just makes browsing and
16 retrieval a snap, imho.
17
18 > I think this is just one more reason that "power users" should
19 > seriously consider just syncing from git. It is really useful to have
20 > a git repo, and once you have one, it is going to be a lot faster to
21 > just use it as your daily driver since it syncs so quickly/etc
24 OK, I'll give that a whirl. But if I want to go casually looking at old
25 codes, removed from the tree, that I have never used before, but are
26 vaguely referred to in some old post, how do I do that with git?
27 For example, I have conversed on numerous occasions with the old physics
28 professor that wrote sys-cluster/wulfware. We have prospectives that are
29 similar. Although he does not actively, at this time, support wulfware,
30 he has architected a more conservative approach to HPC than many of the
31 current, more-prominent projects. He has quite a proposal for me to
32 move the code forward, should I want to take it over. Yet, a
33 tree-cleaner probably has marked it for removal.
34
35 Old code is often wonderful, ymmv. It's old school, 'C' centric and
36 there are many other old useful codes. Not that this reference is any
37 big deal, but there is a lot more than me out there with similar
38 beliefs. It's exciting to see something old (PVM) return in part as a
39 new project (OrangeFS). Oh, OrangeFS is all the new-rage with some HPC
40 folks and it making a return via kernel-4.6 (I believe).
41
42 So, I guess I'll read up and try to set up my own git repo, so I do not
43 have to delete files as they are pruned from the official portage tree.
44 That is what you are suggesting, right?
45
46 In a way I have been doing that manually by syncing up a separate
47 /usr/portage/distfiles/ and putting lots of codes into
48 /usr/local/portage/. I would hope, some devs would put thought into this
49 and formalize a few methods and a document so that in effect, I can
50 manage my own gentoo attic, going forward, and likewise others could
51 too, or a partial archive, according to their interests.
52
53 Granted my ignorance of git is a big factor here, so do not be shy to
54 suggest reading materials.... Often I read docs on git and well, I might
55 as well be reading Hieroglyphics. It's easier to follow examples, imho,
56 and that makes support more straight forward and consistent should
57 others need to retrieve old ebuilds and source files.
60 Thanks for the info and ideas.
61 James