From: Andrew Savchenko <bircoph@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: OrangeFS support in Gentoo (Was: Re: [gentoo-dev] why is the security team running around p.masking packages)
Date: Wed, 06 Jul 2016 21:35:20
1 On Tue, 5 Jul 2016 11:53:49 -0500 james wrote:
2 > OK, I'll give that a whirl. But if I want to go casually looking at old
3 > codes, removed from the tree, that I have never used before, but are
4 > vaguely referred to in some old post, how do I do that with git?
5 > For example, I have conversed on numerous occasions with the old physics
6 > professor that wrote sys-cluster/wulfware. We have prospectives that are
7 > similar. Although he does not actively, at this time, support wulfware,
8 > he has architected a more conservative approach to HPC than many of the
9 > current, more-prominent projects. He has quite a proposal for me to
10 > move the code forward, should I want to take it over. Yet, a
11 > tree-cleaner probably has marked it for removal.
12 >
13 > Old code is often wonderful, ymmv. It's old school, 'C' centric and
14 > there are many other old useful codes. Not that this reference is any
15 > big deal, but there is a lot more than me out there with similar
16 > beliefs. It's exciting to see something old (PVM) return in part as a
17 > new project (OrangeFS). Oh, OrangeFS is all the new-rage with some HPC
18 > folks and it making a return via kernel-4.6 (I believe).
19
20 Yeah, OrangeFS is a fascinating project. We used it on our HPC
21 cluster, but had some stability issues. There is
22 orangefs-2.9_beta20130530-r1 ebuild available in my overlay (as
23 well as for some older versions). It is outdated and will not work
24 on kernels > 3.4, but fuse client can be used.
25
26 The most pain to support this package was out-of-tree kernel
27 module. Its inclusion into 4.6 kernel is a really great achievment
28 of OrangeFS team. So I have plans to update it to 2.9.5 and include
29 in the tree. If gods will bless me with more spare time :)
30
31 Best regards,
32 Andrew Savchenko