From: Dale <dalek@××××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Adding a program to portage, powstatd to be exact.
Date: Mon, 08 Jan 2007 09:46:00
1 Thomas Kear wrote:
2 > Have you considered other software alternatives?
3 >
4 > My prefered UPS monitor is NUT (sys-power/nut on gentoo)
5 > www.networkupstools.org
6 >
7 > Highly (and I do mean HIGHLY) configurable, support for many different
8 > brands of UPS, shutdown of multiple network-connected PCs on the same
9 > UPS, even GUI apps for display of UPS state data (see
10 > net-misc/knutclient).
11 >
12 > Have a look if it does what you need.
13 >
14 > --Thomas
17 Actually, that is what I have been using, or trying to. It just doesn't
18 do the same as powstatd. It waits until the batteries are about dead
19 then does it's thing. Powstatd doesn't. I can set it to wait a certain
20 amount of time after power fails then tell it to shut down. Generally
21 where I live, if the power is off more than about 5 minutes, it will be
22 a while. There is no need for me to run down the batteries and shorten
23 their lifespan just because the program is set up that way. That said,
24 the last time I had a power failure, it didn't do anything. It just ran
25 until it died. It was pissed too.
26
27 I'm just hoping I can get powstatd installed and working. I have tried
28 before but it never worked right. Gentoo has different init stuff. I
29 think that is the biggest problem is the init part. Mandrake has the
30 number system where Gentoo has, boot, default etc. I just couldn't get
31 it installed right manually.
32
33 Thanks for the info though. I wish it did work the same as powstatd.
34
35 Dale
36
41 www.myspace.com/dalek1967