From: Thomas Kear <thomas.kear@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Adding a program to portage, powstatd to be exact.
Date: Mon, 08 Jan 2007 10:33:52
1 There is a method to make NUT's upsmon app shut down after X minutes on
2 battery rather than after the batteries reach "low" status. The method is
3 referenced in the FAQ and described in far more detail than I care to read in
4 upsshed.txt, which on a gentoo machine will be installed somewhere
5 like /usr/share/doc/nut-2.0.4-r1/upssched.txt.gz
8 From the FAQ:
9
10 Q: How can I make upsmon shut down my system after some fixed interval?
11
12 A: You probably don't want to do this, since it doesn't maximize your
13 runtime on battery. Assuming you have a good reason for it (see
14 the next entry), then look at upssched.txt or the upssched man
15 page for some ideas.
16
17 -----------------------------------------------------------------------------
18
19 Q: Why doesn't upsmon shut down my system? I pulled the plug and
20 nothing happened.
21
22 A: Wait. upsmon doesn't consider a UPS to be critical until it's both
23 'on battery' and 'low battery' at the same time. This is by design.
24 Nearly every UPS supports the notion of detecting the low battery
25 all by itself. When the voltage drops below a certain point, it
26 _will_ let you know about it.
27
28 If your system has a really complicated shutdown procedure, you
29 might need to shut down before the UPS raises the low battery flag.
30 For most users, however, the default behavior is adequate.
31
32 Ask yourself this: why buy a nice big UPS with the matching battery
33 and corresponding runtime and then shutdown early? If anything, I'd
34 rather have a few more minutes running on battery during which the
35 power might return. Once the power's back, it's business as usual
36 with no visible interruption in service.
37
38 If you purposely shut down early, you guarantee an interruption in
39 service by bringing down the box.
40
41 See upssched.txt for information on how you can shutdown early if
42 this is what you really want to do.
45 As for starting powstatd from gentoo's init system, all I can say is good
46 luck, I'm afraid even if I hadn't replaced gentoo's sysvinit system with
47 initng over a year ago I still hadn't looked hard enough to know
48 how /etc/inittab works in gentoo. Hopefully someone else will know.