From: Michael Mol <mikemol@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] [RFC] Dropping slotted boost
Date: Tue, 30 Oct 2012 21:21:57
1 On Tue, Oct 30, 2012 at 4:59 PM, Samuli Suominen <ssuominen@g.o> wrote:
2 >
3 > On 30/10/12 22:49, Michael Mol wrote:
4 >>
5 >> On Tue, Oct 30, 2012 at 4:45 PM, Diego Elio Pettenò
6 >> <flameeyes@×××××××××.eu <mailto:flameeyes@×××××××××.eu>> wrote:
7 >>
8 >> On 30/10/2012 13:39, Michael Mol wrote:
9 >> > In general, I agree...but Boost wasn't intended to be a shared
10 >> library,
11 >> > so there shouldn't be a conflict there.
12 >>
13 >> But there are shared libraries, and they are not small either. And
14 >> I'd
15 >> rather, say, hunt an RWX section problem (a security problem) with a
16 >> single shared library rather than having to hunt it down in a dozen
17 >> or so.
18 >>
19 >> Besides, honestly it's not that bad. I think that half the headache
20 >> that
21 >> we're having is due to the slotting more than from boost itself. And
22 >> the
23 >> other half is due to people actually not going to fix their crap
24 >> because
25 >> "oh I can just use the older version" (until a new compiler or C
26 >> library
27 >> comes out).
28 >>
29 >> I've had to do my share of porting to newer boost — and as I said
30 >> most
31 >> of the headaches have been for the build system to find the object,
32 >> rather than anything else.
35 >> Thank you. That was enlightening. :)
38 > Please remove HTML from your e-mail clients settings, at least for this
39 > mailing list. It's unreadable.
40
41 Apologies; didn't even realize it was enabled.
42
43 Incidentally can you forward a screenshot to me so I can see exactly
44 how poorly it integrated with your normal settings? I don't expect I
45 can get GMail to take a bug report, but if its HTML emails are setting
46 things like fixed sizes, that's something that needs to be brought up.
47 (I certainly wasn't copy/pasting or setting _anything_ manually. I
48 avoid that as much as possible.)
51 :wq