From: Samuli Suominen <ssuominen@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] [RFC] Dropping slotted boost
Date: Tue, 30 Oct 2012 21:05:06
1 On 30/10/12 22:49, Michael Mol wrote:
2 > On Tue, Oct 30, 2012 at 4:45 PM, Diego Elio Pettenò
3 > <flameeyes@×××××××××.eu <mailto:flameeyes@×××××××××.eu>> wrote:
4 >
5 > On 30/10/2012 13:39, Michael Mol wrote:
6 > > In general, I agree...but Boost wasn't intended to be a shared
7 > library,
8 > > so there shouldn't be a conflict there.
9 >
10 > But there are shared libraries, and they are not small either. And I'd
11 > rather, say, hunt an RWX section problem (a security problem) with a
12 > single shared library rather than having to hunt it down in a dozen
13 > or so.
14 >
15 > Besides, honestly it's not that bad. I think that half the headache that
16 > we're having is due to the slotting more than from boost itself. And the
17 > other half is due to people actually not going to fix their crap because
18 > "oh I can just use the older version" (until a new compiler or C library
19 > comes out).
20 >
21 > I've had to do my share of porting to newer boost — and as I said most
22 > of the headaches have been for the build system to find the object,
23 > rather than anything else.
26 > Thank you. That was enlightening. :)
27
28 Please remove HTML from your e-mail clients settings, at least for this
29 mailing list. It's unreadable.