From: Alec Warner <antarus@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] [RFC] Some sync control
Date: Fri, 12 Jan 2007 00:01:05
1 Seemant Kulleen wrote:
2 > On Thu, 2007-01-11 at 14:08 -0800, Robin H. Johnson wrote:
3 >
4 >> However, for several reasons this is not yet feasible, and furthermore
5 >
6 > Just for the sake of completeness can you outline those reasons?
7 >
8 > Thanks,
11 The status quo is a harsh mistress. 'There is no compelling reason to
12 switch systems'. If we were starting anew? SVN in a heartbeat.
13
14 But we have 6 years of cvs experience, and it works...fairly well as you
15 know. The primary reasons for svn are better local support for stuff
16 (read diffs), atomic commits, and file moves. Branching..I don't think
17 is really useful for gentoo-x86 as it doesn't fit the style of how we do
18 things.
19
20 GIT is a good alternative, but has massive changes of it's own,
21 particularly I think in workflow. Workflow is important, and it's
22 beneficial to make the workflow changes at the same time as the backend
23 is changed.
24
25 -Alec Warner
26 --