From: Dewet Diener <gentoo@×××××.org>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Gentoo internal structure
Date: Wed, 26 Nov 2003 17:59:33
1 On Wednesday 26 November 2003 19:18, Bob Miller wrote:
2 > But it illustrates why you don't under any circumstances want
3 > ACCEPT_LICENSES="*", either as the default or as an option. Accepting
4 > a license has consequences, and those consequences can hurt you.* I'd
5 > recommend against letting the parser recognize a wildcard for licenses
6 > -- there's just too much danger for people who don't know any better
7 > to hurt themselves.
8
9 While I see your point and agree to some extent with what you're saying, there
10 are cases where I can imagine it needed. Considering the dubious legal
11 stance of shrink-wrap licences, and combining that with the fact that I'm not
12 living in the States or a US citizen, makes me rather less concerned about
13 this issue.
14
15 If the wildcarding of licences aren't allowed, at least put a switch in
16 make.conf to disable the licence code altogether. Otherwise I'll just patch
17 it out of portage on my machines.
18
19 But I guess with the modular approach of next-gen portage, that will be
20 elementary.
21
22 Dewet
25 Dewet Diener <gentoo@×××××.org> http://dewet.org
26 Professional Student, avid Gentoo user :)
27 Stellenbosch, South Africa (33<C2><BA> 55" 58.80'S 18<C2><BA> 51" 00.00'E)
30 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list