From: Bob Miller <kbob@××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Gentoo internal structure
Date: Wed, 26 Nov 2003 17:18:37
1 Christian Birchinger wrote:
2
3 > It might sound a bit rude but i think the defaults should be
4 > defined that most of the time only zealots need to tweak
5 > them. I think most users don't care about most licenses and
6 > shouldn't need to mess with this.
7
8 I've seen several people express this attitude, and I like it a lot.
9
10 Let me tell you about my retirement plan. I'm going to write a game,
11 Linux-only, make it good enough that a few hundred of you will emerge
12 it and try it out. Then I'll change the license agreement so that
13 next time you emerge the game you'll owe me $1million US. Since
14 you all have ACCEPT_LICENSES="*" as the default, you'll all accept my
15 new license, I'll take you all to court (after subpoenaing apache logs
16 from all the mirrors so I know who you are, and subpoenaing your
17 make.conf and make.globals to prove you accepted the license), and sue
18 you for my license fee. If I can recover 1% of what you'll all owe
19 me, I'll be happy enough.
20
21 Okay, that's NOT REALLY my plan. I'm at least slightly ethical. (-:
22 But it illustrates why you don't under any circumstances want
23 ACCEPT_LICENSES="*", either as the default or as an option. Accepting
24 a license has consequences, and those consequences can hurt you.* I'd
25 recommend against letting the parser recognize a wildcard for licenses
26 -- there's just too much danger for people who don't know any better
27 to hurt themselves.
28
29 That's my opinion. It's worth what you paid for it.
32 * For a real life example that's somewhat less heinous, consider the
33 BitKeeper license.
34 --
35 Bob Miller K<bob>
36 kbobsoft software consulting