From: Jason Rhinelander <jason@××××××××××××××××.com>
To: Bob Miller <kbob@××××××××××.com>
Cc: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Gentoo internal structure
Date: Wed, 26 Nov 2003 22:58:22
1 Your retirement demonstration brings up a good point. Unless
2 specifically indicated, a license change is neither retroactive nor
3 proactive; if the user agreed to the original license, they are under
4 the original license so long as they don't change their software (unless
5 the license is also time-limited in some way). If an updated version of
6 the program now comes with an updated (i.e. pay me $1,000,000 dollars)
7 license, it's up to the developer responsible for the ebuild to take
8 that into account, which will most definitely require a new
9 ACCEPT_LICENSE value.
10
11 This will need to be taken into account when writing up an
12 "ACCEPT_LICENSE" policy - every time a license changes, even if it is a
13 very minor wording change, the license values have to change as well.
14 If VMware, for example, adds a clause to their license agreement, this
15 needs to be reflected with a new license value (let's call it, for the
16 sake of discussion, 'vmware-2'). If they later add another one, that
17 means a vmware-3 license is needed, and so on and so forth.
18
19 I'm certainly with you on not allowing * for licenses, but as has also
20 been suggested here, I'm completely against a default that only allows
21 includes OSI/FSF-approved software. As often as possible, users should
22 be able to just "emerge someprog" and have "someprog" be installed. The
23 default should include all licenses that don't require explicit license
24 acceptance for installation - vmware is a good example - so that adding
25 an ACCEPT_LICENSE option to portage does not require Gentoo users to do
26 anything more than they have to now, but more easily allows packages
27 that require explicit license acceptance.
28
29 However, we _do_ need to support a "-*" option, to allow the free
30 software jihadists to have their way, without inconveniencing the rest
31 of us. The fact that I've seen comments in this thread to the effect of
32 "having a choice of free and non-free software is not a choice," or
33 "everyone should have a choice only as long as it's the same thing I
34 choose" truly saddens me.
35
36 -- Jason Rhinelander
37 -- Gossamer Threads, Inc.
40 Bob Miller wrote:
41 > Christian Birchinger wrote:
44 >>It might sound a bit rude but i think the defaults should be
45 >>defined that most of the time only zealots need to tweak
46 >>them. I think most users don't care about most licenses and
47 >>shouldn't need to mess with this.
50 > I've seen several people express this attitude, and I like it a lot.
51 >
52 > Let me tell you about my retirement plan. I'm going to write a game,
53 > Linux-only, make it good enough that a few hundred of you will emerge
54 > it and try it out. Then I'll change the license agreement so that
55 > next time you emerge the game you'll owe me $1million US. Since
56 > you all have ACCEPT_LICENSES="*" as the default, you'll all accept my
57 > new license, I'll take you all to court (after subpoenaing apache logs
58 > from all the mirrors so I know who you are, and subpoenaing your
59 > make.conf and make.globals to prove you accepted the license), and sue
60 > you for my license fee. If I can recover 1% of what you'll all owe
61 > me, I'll be happy enough.
62 >
63 > Okay, that's NOT REALLY my plan. I'm at least slightly ethical. (-:
64 > But it illustrates why you don't under any circumstances want
65 > ACCEPT_LICENSES="*", either as the default or as an option. Accepting
66 > a license has consequences, and those consequences can hurt you.* I'd
67 > recommend against letting the parser recognize a wildcard for licenses
68 > -- there's just too much danger for people who don't know any better
69 > to hurt themselves.
70 >
71 > That's my opinion. It's worth what you paid for it.
74 > * For a real life example that's somewhat less heinous, consider the
75 > BitKeeper license.
79 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list