From: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Re: Wordiness
Date: Fri, 21 Dec 2012 14:57:35
1 Michael Mol posted on Fri, 21 Dec 2012 08:51:09 -0500 as excerpted:
2
3 > On Fri, Dec 21, 2012 at 8:31 AM, Matt Turner <mattst88@g.o>
4 > wrote:
5 >> On Thu, Dec 20, 2012 at 11:05 PM, Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net> wrote:
6 >>>
7 >>>
8 >> My point is that you consistently write long essays that I, and
9 >> apparently most others, don't bother to read.
10
11 >>> the tragic thing is that guy would be able to make valuable
12 >>> contributions if it weren't for the excessive length of his mails
13 >>
14 >> So, your emails are way too long.
15 >>
16 > I dunno. I read them.
17 >
18 > Duncan, I think the clue here, though, is that you should start a blog.
19 > I'd read that, too. :)
20
21 Thanks, all. .
22
23 It's not everyone. I have a stack of replies thanking me for explaining
24 <whatever> that no one took the time to do in a way they could understand
25 before. But I think computer folks often take intuitive leaps faster
26 than many and thus don't need it all spelled out repeatedly, as others
27 often seem to, and I don't "consider the audience". Yes, things often
28 can tighten up with a bit of effort.
29
30 Ironic after all those "two page minimum" assignments on material easily
31 covered in one paragraph of two sentences totaling five lines... I
32 learned that lesson /too/ well.
33
34 But if I shorten it, invariably someone catches me out with an exception
35 I considered but cut for brevity, so the discussion ends up longer and
36 takes more round trips than it would if I hadn't, and I go back to the
37 long form the next time. =:^(
38
39 I probably /should/ start a blog.
44 and if you use the program, he is your master." Richard Stallman