From: Georgi Georgiev <chutz@×××.net>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] [RFC] ACCEPT_RESTRICT for questionable values of RESTRICT
Date: Fri, 12 Jan 2007 07:07:50
1 Quoting Ciaran McCreesh <ciaranm@×××××××.org>:
2
3 > On Fri, 12 Jan 2007 06:38:23 +0900 Georgi Georgiev <chutz@×××.net>
4 > wrote:
5 > | I agree that if an ebuild wants to misbehave it can and there is no
6 > | stopping it. However, code that is executed in pkg_* is generally
7 > | restricted to code written by the person who is involved in
8 > | maintaining the ebuild. It is easy to read that code and see what it
9 > | does. In contrast, the stuff that is run with lowered privileges is
10 > | usually coded upstream. I'd like to have that run with lowered
11 > | privileges, no matter what.
12 >
13 > So you trust upstream to install arbitrary content on your computer,
14 > some of which may not be removed even when you uninstall the package,
15 > but you don't trust the package to compile with elevated privs, even
16 > when a Gentoo developer has carefully checked why userpriv is required?
17
18 Why would it not be removed? Upstream installs in the sandbox, the
19 contents of the sandbox are recorded in the package database and with
20 collision-protect it will not override random stuff on my computer. If
21 I uninstall the package without ever touching it, everything will be
22 removed. I do exclude the pkg_* phases from the above, but we already
23 agreed that nothing from upstream executes there.
24
25 Still, your point makes sense. But I hope that you will agree that as
26 long as FEATURES=userpriv exists it should be enforced. If it can be
27 circumvented the FEATURE may as well be removed and the whole problem
28 dealt with.
32 This message was sent using IMP, the Internet Messaging Program.
36 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list