From: Ciaran McCreesh <ciaranm@×××××××.org>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] [RFC] ACCEPT_RESTRICT for questionable values of RESTRICT
Date: Fri, 12 Jan 2007 07:28:42
1 On Fri, 12 Jan 2007 16:02:01 +0900 Georgi Georgiev <chutz@×××.net>
2 wrote:
3 | Why would it not be removed? Upstream installs in the sandbox, the
4 | contents of the sandbox are recorded in the package database and
5 | with collision-protect it will not override random stuff on my
6 | computer.
7
8 Unless upstream decides to override the sandbox sneakily, or uses one
9 of the many tricks to get content onto the live filesystem that Portage
10 won't handle.
11
12 | If I uninstall the package without ever touching it,
13 | everything will be removed. I do exclude the pkg_* phases from the
14 | above, but we already agreed that nothing from upstream executes
15 | there.
16
17 Not true. Not in the sliiiiiightest bit true. There are approximately
18 three zillion quirks in how Portage handles the merge which would allow
19 one to slip something through the cracks. Examples include overwriting
20 directories with files and installing non-(directories|symlinks|files).
21 Or if you want examples that will also work with package managers that
22 are more secure than Portage, think installing cron.d entries to create
23 malicious content.
24
25 | Still, your point makes sense. But I hope that you will agree that
26 | as long as FEATURES=userpriv exists it should be enforced. If it can
27 | be circumvented the FEATURE may as well be removed and the whole
28 | problem dealt with.
29
30 No. userpriv is a nice safety feature to prevent against *accidental*
31 screwups, but it has absolutely no value as a security feature. There
32 are a small number of occasions where it really does need to be
33 disabled, and that option should be available for the ebuild author
34 without the need to worry about silly users refusing to install the
35 package merely because of their misunderstanding of what userpriv does.
38 Ciaran McCreesh
39 Mail : ciaranm at ciaranm.org
40 Web : http://ciaranm.org/
41 Paludis, the secure package manager : http://paludis.pioto.org/