From: Georgi Georgiev <chutz@×××.net>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] [RFC] ACCEPT_RESTRICT for questionable values of RESTRICT
Date: Fri, 12 Jan 2007 08:43:24
1 Quoting Ciaran McCreesh <ciaranm@×××××××.org>:
2
3 > On Fri, 12 Jan 2007 16:02:01 +0900 Georgi Georgiev <chutz@×××.net>
4 > wrote:
5
6 ... nothing to add here, sounds alright ...
7
8 > | Still, your point makes sense. But I hope that you will agree that
9 > | as long as FEATURES=userpriv exists it should be enforced. If it can
10 > | be circumvented the FEATURE may as well be removed and the whole
11 > | problem dealt with.
12 >
13 > No. userpriv is a nice safety feature to prevent against *accidental*
14 > screwups, but it has absolutely no value as a security feature. There
15 > are a small number of occasions where it really does need to be
16 > disabled, and that option should be available for the ebuild author
17 > without the need to worry about silly users refusing to install the
18 > package merely because of their misunderstanding of what userpriv does.
19
20 And there are probably just as many situations when the RESTRICT is
21 abused. I can vaguely recall only one such example: either vpopmail or
22 courier-imap refuse to compile *not* as root which is silly.
23
24 Anyway, what is userpriv? Just a useless safety feature? Why have it at all?
28 This message was sent using IMP, the Internet Messaging Program.
32 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list