From: Ulrich Mueller <ulm@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: linux-firmware
Date: Wed, 20 Feb 2013 09:09:37
1 >>>>> On Wed, 20 Feb 2013, Alec Warner wrote:
2
3 > On Tue, Feb 19, 2013 at 11:55 PM, Ulrich Mueller <ulm@g.o> wrote:
4 >> I mostly agree. However, there are not two, but three classes of
5 >> licenses for firmware images:
6 >>
7 >> 1. Free software
8 >> 2. Non-free, but can be redistributed
9 >> 3. Cannot be redistributed
10 >>
11 >> The split between 2 and 3 is the more important one, because we
12 >> cannot mirror things under 3.
13
14 > Have we talked to debian then? Nominally if we can't dist it, they
15 > can't dist it (and vice versa.)
16
17 From a quick glance at their tarball it seems that they exclude some
18 firmware images that are included in our tarball.
19
20 For example, I don't see atmsar11.fw and k1212.dsp (first two entries
21 in WHENCE) in their tarball. Which makes sense because both are not
22 redistributable.
23
24 Ulrich