From: Alec Warner <antarus@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: linux-firmware
Date: Wed, 20 Feb 2013 08:16:34
1 On Tue, Feb 19, 2013 at 11:55 PM, Ulrich Mueller <ulm@g.o> wrote:
2 >>>>>> On Tue, 19 Feb 2013, Alec Warner wrote:
3 >
4 >> Lets not re-invent the wheel here:
5 >
6 >> Debian has free and non-free packages.
7 >> http://packages.debian.org/sid/firmware-linux
8 >
9 >> # free copyright
10 >> http://packages.debian.org/changelogs/pool/main/f/firmware-free/firmware-free_3.2/firmware-linux-free.copyright
11 >
12 >> # nonfree copyright
13 >> http://packages.debian.org/changelogs/pool/non-free/f/firmware-nonfree/firmware-nonfree_0.36+wheezy.1/firmware-linux-nonfree.copyright
14 >
15 >> http://pkgs.fedoraproject.org/cgit/linux-firmware.git/tree/linux-firmware.spec
16 >> Specifically:
17 >> License: GPL+ and GPLv2+ and MIT and Redistributable, no modification permitted
18 >
19 >> It looks like OpenSuse has split packages. Most distros are debian or
20 >> redhat based these days.
21 >
22 >> We can easily have a firmware package that is USE="nonfree" and only
23 >> install the libre firmware, ala debian. This also fixes 'the license
24 >> issue' because if people want ACCEPT_LICENSE=@OSI-APPROVED they just
25 >> need to turn the nonfree flag off.
26 >
27 >> None of this is rocket science, and the work has likely already been
28 >> done by others, so just take it and go.
29 >
30 > I mostly agree. However, there are not two, but three classes of
31 > licenses for firmware images:
32 >
33 > 1. Free software
34 > 2. Non-free, but can be redistributed
35 > 3. Cannot be redistributed
36 >
37 > The split between 2 and 3 is the more important one, because we cannot
38 > mirror things under 3.
39
40 Have we talked to debian then? Nominally if we can't dist it, they
41 can't dist it (and vice versa.)
42
43 -A
46 > Ulrich