From: Ulrich Mueller <ulm@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: linux-firmware
Date: Wed, 20 Feb 2013 07:55:26
1 >>>>> On Tue, 19 Feb 2013, Alec Warner wrote:
2
3 > Lets not re-invent the wheel here:
4
5 > Debian has free and non-free packages.
6 > http://packages.debian.org/sid/firmware-linux
7
8 > # free copyright
9 > http://packages.debian.org/changelogs/pool/main/f/firmware-free/firmware-free_3.2/firmware-linux-free.copyright
10
11 > # nonfree copyright
12 > http://packages.debian.org/changelogs/pool/non-free/f/firmware-nonfree/firmware-nonfree_0.36+wheezy.1/firmware-linux-nonfree.copyright
13
14 > http://pkgs.fedoraproject.org/cgit/linux-firmware.git/tree/linux-firmware.spec
15 > Specifically:
16 > License: GPL+ and GPLv2+ and MIT and Redistributable, no modification permitted
17
18 > It looks like OpenSuse has split packages. Most distros are debian or
19 > redhat based these days.
20
21 > We can easily have a firmware package that is USE="nonfree" and only
22 > install the libre firmware, ala debian. This also fixes 'the license
23 > issue' because if people want ACCEPT_LICENSE=@OSI-APPROVED they just
24 > need to turn the nonfree flag off.
25
26 > None of this is rocket science, and the work has likely already been
27 > done by others, so just take it and go.
28
29 I mostly agree. However, there are not two, but three classes of
30 licenses for firmware images:
31
32 1. Free software
33 2. Non-free, but can be redistributed
34 3. Cannot be redistributed
35
36 The split between 2 and 3 is the more important one, because we cannot
37 mirror things under 3.
38
39 Ulrich