From: Michael Palimaka <kensington@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Re: Improving the stabilisation process - part 1
Date: Sun, 27 Nov 2016 18:39:15
1 On 27/11/16 10:32, William Hubbs wrote:
2 > On Fri, Nov 25, 2016 at 06:41:20AM +1100, Michael Palimaka wrote:
3 >> As I am sure everyone is aware by now, stabilisation requests on many
4 >> architectures take a long time to be actioned. There are many factors
5 >> contributing to this, but today I'd like to address three specific
6 >> problems that unnecessarily delay developers actioning those requests.:
7 >>
8 >> 1. There's no easy way to pick atoms out of a stabilisation bug.
9 >> Currently, atoms can appear, in a varying formations, in multiple
10 >> locations: in the bug title, spread across multiple comments, in an
11 >> attachment, [...].
12 >>
13 >> 2. There's no way to determine if a stabilisation request is valid (will
14 >> pass repoman) until someone actually tries it.
15 >>
16 >> 3. There's no easy way to identify the level of testing required for any
17 >> given request.
18 >>
19 >> To address this, I am proposing some changes to Bugzilla, some
20 >> automation, and some improved tools.
23 >> Bugzilla changes
24 >> ================
25 >>
26 >> I'd like to introduce two new fields:
27 >>
28 >> 1. "Runtime testing required" - a drop-down list with three values:
29 >> * (unset) - the default. The stabilising developer will use
30 >> their best judgement as to what testing is required
31 >> * Yes - the maintainer is specifically requesting runtime testing
32 >> * No - the maintainer is happy to stabilise with only a build
33 >> test (for example, trivial revision bumps, libraries with good test
34 >> coverage, or otherwise at the maintainer's discretion)
35 >>
36 >> 2. "Atoms to stabilise" - a textarea containing a list of fully
37 >> qualified atoms. Each atom may optionally be followed by a
38 >> whitespace-delimited list of architectures for which that atom should be
39 >> stabilised. If an atom is not followed by any list of architectures, it
40 >> is assumed it should be stabilised for all architectures CC'd on the bug.
41 >>
42 >> Example atom list from a bug with amd64, arm, and x86 in CC:
43 >>
44 >> =app-foo/bar-1.2.3 # will be stabilised on amd64, arm, and x86
45 >> =app-foo/baz-2.3.4 amd64 x86 # will be stabilised on only amd64 and x86
46 >
47 > Listing the architectures seems redundant if they are also in the cc:
48 > field. In your example above, why would you need arm in the cc: field
49 > for app-foo/bas-2.3.4?
50
51 This is to handle the case where multiple packages are stabilised in a
52 single bug and each package needs stabilising on a different set of
53 architectures.