From: William Hubbs <williamh@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Improving the stabilisation process - part 1
Date: Sun, 27 Nov 2016 18:32:23
1 On Fri, Nov 25, 2016 at 06:41:20AM +1100, Michael Palimaka wrote:
2 > As I am sure everyone is aware by now, stabilisation requests on many
3 > architectures take a long time to be actioned. There are many factors
4 > contributing to this, but today I'd like to address three specific
5 > problems that unnecessarily delay developers actioning those requests.:
6 >
7 > 1. There's no easy way to pick atoms out of a stabilisation bug.
8 > Currently, atoms can appear, in a varying formations, in multiple
9 > locations: in the bug title, spread across multiple comments, in an
10 > attachment, [...].
11 >
12 > 2. There's no way to determine if a stabilisation request is valid (will
13 > pass repoman) until someone actually tries it.
14 >
15 > 3. There's no easy way to identify the level of testing required for any
16 > given request.
17 >
18 > To address this, I am proposing some changes to Bugzilla, some
19 > automation, and some improved tools.
22 > Bugzilla changes
23 > ================
24 >
25 > I'd like to introduce two new fields:
26 >
27 > 1. "Runtime testing required" - a drop-down list with three values:
28 > * (unset) - the default. The stabilising developer will use
29 > their best judgement as to what testing is required
30 > * Yes - the maintainer is specifically requesting runtime testing
31 > * No - the maintainer is happy to stabilise with only a build
32 > test (for example, trivial revision bumps, libraries with good test
33 > coverage, or otherwise at the maintainer's discretion)
34 >
35 > 2. "Atoms to stabilise" - a textarea containing a list of fully
36 > qualified atoms. Each atom may optionally be followed by a
37 > whitespace-delimited list of architectures for which that atom should be
38 > stabilised. If an atom is not followed by any list of architectures, it
39 > is assumed it should be stabilised for all architectures CC'd on the bug.
40 >
41 > Example atom list from a bug with amd64, arm, and x86 in CC:
42 >
43 > =app-foo/bar-1.2.3 # will be stabilised on amd64, arm, and x86
44 > =app-foo/baz-2.3.4 amd64 x86 # will be stabilised on only amd64 and x86
45
46 Listing the architectures seems redundant if they are also in the cc:
47 field. In your example above, why would you need arm in the cc: field
48 for app-foo/bas-2.3.4?
49
50 William