From: Chris Gianelloni <wolf31o2@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: Re: Versioning the tree
Date: Wed, 29 Nov 2006 16:00:38
1 On Wed, 2006-11-29 at 02:21 -0500, Alec Warner wrote:
2 > The bonus is that we then need to have a fetcher that runs over the main
3 > tree and all supported release trees, and this of course increases
4 > mirror size as we now have distfiles in the tree from a year ago to
5 > support a year old release. I am unsure how much space this would take
6 > up; but this is an obstacle that must be overcome (somehow), preferably
7 > by giving infra an estimate on the space reqs.
8
9 Well, we have to provide distfiles for everything we've ever released a
10 binary of, forever, to comply with the GPL.
11
12 As of this release, I kept a copy of all of the distfiles for the entire
13 release, and can make a DVD of it, on request. This fulfills our
14 requirements with the GPL.
15
16 I would bet that for most of the tree, the size increase would be
17 negligible, since quite a bit of the tree doesn't change every six
18 months. Of course, the stuff that does change tends to be the larger
19 things, like desktop environments and such. I wouldn't have a clue how
20 to give you an idea of the space requirements until the next release
21 comes about and I also have distfiles for that release. That will give
22 you an idea, based only on what we release, though.
25 Chris Gianelloni
26 Release Engineering Strategic Lead
27 Alpha/AMD64/x86 Architecture Teams
28 Games Developer/Council Member/Foundation Trustee
29 Gentoo Foundation