From: Alec Warner <antarus@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: Re: Versioning the tree
Date: Wed, 29 Nov 2006 07:24:02
1 Steve Long wrote:
2
3 > <snip> .. The one
4 >> disadvantage to my design is it needs infra. It needs it's own
5 >> repository and rsync.
6 >>
7 > What does that entail? Would a co-located server suffice?
8 >
9 > (If it gets popular, I'd imagine those mirroring current rsyncs etc would
10 > want to mirror the releases as well.)
13 One of the problems here (IIRC) is that our mirrors are quite full. Not
14 only must you mirror the release tree (which is trivial in size) you
15 also have to mirror the distfiles for that tree. Right now our
16 distfiles are maintained by a wonderful python script that checks the
17 files in SRC_URI and fetches them to the master when needed; when an
18 ebuild is removed from CVS, the fetcher will not fetch the file and it
19 will get removed (after two weeks, afaik).
20
21 The bonus is that we then need to have a fetcher that runs over the main
22 tree and all supported release trees, and this of course increases
23 mirror size as we now have distfiles in the tree from a year ago to
24 support a year old release. I am unsure how much space this would take
25 up; but this is an obstacle that must be overcome (somehow), preferably
26 by giving infra an estimate on the space reqs.
30 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list