From: "Bo Ørsted Andresen" <bo.andresen@××××.dk>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] [GLEP] Use EAPI-suffixed ebuilds (.ebuild-EAPI)
Date: Fri, 21 Dec 2007 15:34:25
1 On Friday 21 December 2007 05:25:00 Zhang Le wrote:
2 > The question is really simple.
3 > Whether we should have two different place to define EAPI?
4
5 We need two places because it wasn't implemented properly in the first place
6 and we want to retain backwards compatibility for people who use old versions
7 of portage. The whole point is to keep a sane upgrade path available
8 indefinitely for people with old versions of portage.
9
10 > Proponents are trying to prove that we should at least need it be in file
11 > name.
12
13 We need the file name to change because otherwise old versions of portage will
14 try to source the ebuild when the EAPI is unknown. This either blocks new
15 useful features that will make old versions of portage fail to source them or
16 results in more bug reports with zillions of dupes (like the bugs in [1])
17 because people with ancient versions of portage feel the need to report bug
18 reports when portage fails after a sync.
19
20 At the very least it means waiting for a year between a release with a version
21 of portage that supports this and an EAPI that takes advantage of it. So now
22 that leaves the question whether we want to change the file name once and
23 hope that we won't need to do it again or whether we want to use the
24 technically more flexible way where the file name changes whenever a new EAPI
25 gets agreed upon.
26
27 Or alternatively whether we want to limit ourselves by using an inferior
28 solution that limits or delays progress considerably and results in more bug
29 reports with zillions of dupes...
30
31 [1] http://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/portage/doc/common-problems.xml
34 Bo Andresen