From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev <gentoo-dev@l.g.o>
Cc: Michael Weber <xmw@g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Gnome Stabilization 3.6 or 3.8
Date: Wed, 07 Aug 2013 15:22:47
1 On Wed, Aug 7, 2013 at 9:56 AM, Tom Wijsman <TomWij@g.o> wrote:
2 > While people can scream, complaint and rant all they want about choice;
3 > it isn't going to happen if nobody is going to implement it, until that
4 > happens following whatever upstream does is the only reasonable thing
5 > to do. Or if you really want to help, help implement the choice... :)
8 ++
9
10 If somebody wants to do the work to create another choice and others
11 get in their way I'm all for helping to clear the roadblocks (in a
12 reasonable way).
13
14 However, just standing up and demanding choice isn't going to get
15 anybody anywhere, especially not with me. The Gnome team isn't
16 required to support any particular configuration. Heck, they're not
17 even required to maintain Gnome at all (though obviously if they don't
18 it will get treecleaned).
19
20 Upstream Gnome has tied their fates to systemd. Patching it to enable
21 other configs is noble, but nothing that anybody should be forced to
22 do. If anybody wants to maintain Gnome sans systemd knock yourself
23 out.
24
25 Rich