From: Ciaran McCreesh <ciaran.mccreesh@×××××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: EAPI definition Was: [gentoo-dev] [GLEP] Use EAPI-suffixed ebuilds (.ebuild-EAPI)
Date: Fri, 21 Dec 2007 03:32:05
1 On Fri, 21 Dec 2007 11:23:08 +0800
2 Zhang Le <r0bertz@g.o> wrote:
3 > > Quite the opposite. EAPI's are designed to live happily together in
4 > > the same repository. A current example: most (or lots...) ebuilds in
5 > > the tree don't need EAPI="1" and it's pointless to migrate all of
6 > > them. We can switch EAPI on an as needed basis.
7 >
8 > But EAPI's can not always co-exist harmoniously.
9 > What if a future EAPI come up with a totally new DEPENDENCY
10 > setting[1], which is incompatible with existing ones.
11
12 DEPENDENCIES can exist in the same tree as *DEPEND. They can't exist
13 within the same ebuild, but that's OK because you can't mix EAPIs at
14 that level.
15
16 > I really don't see the necessity to have so many EAPI's
17
18 A new EAPI is needed for new features, so new EAPIs will be needed in
19 the future. Equally, migrating the whole tree at once to newer EAPIs is
20 a) a lot of unnecessary work, and b) unnecessarily irritating to people
21 using older package managers.
22
23 > especially PM specific EAPI. We can't have PM specific EAPI,
24 > otherwise we are risking forking/splitting ourself.
25
26 Package manager EAPIs don't belong in the main tree, but they have uses
27 outside of it.
30 Ciaran McCreesh