From: Tom Wijsman <TomWij@g.o>
To: mgorny@g.o
Cc: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] markdown docs like README.md
Date: Wed, 25 Sep 2013 19:52:05
1 On Wed, 25 Sep 2013 20:07:42 +0200
2 Michał Górny <mgorny@g.o> wrote:
3
4 > Dnia 2013-09-25, o godz. 14:29:52
5 > Tom Wijsman <TomWij@g.o> napisał(a):
6 >
7 > > > > > 3) adding some more ugly awful magic that will make binary
8 > > > > > packages even less useful.
9 > > > >
10 > > > > For binary packages a choice has to be made; trying to solve
11 > > > > things for binary packages is like discussing something to be
12 > > > > implemented on a binary distro, you simply can't bring the
13 > > > > usefulness we are discussing here to a binary package because
14 > > > > of its nature.
15 > > >
16 > > > Which is not reason to make it even worse.
17 > >
18 > > Neither is it a reason to stop progress.
19 >
20 > Excuse me but *how* is this related to progress at all?
21
22 Progress in providing choice, helping to support a single viewer.
23
24 > You're talking
25 > about converting *newer* format files to *older* format that will
26 > require special processing for display anyway.
27
28 The age or functionality of a format is not what we should discuss here
29 as it does not matter when talking about this progress.
30
31 > Worse than that, you are actually talking about doing the conversion
32 > *on files*, that is storing duplicate data.
33
34 Only if one chooses to do so, which hasn't even been decided yet.
35
36 > I'd expect progress to go *forward*. Introducing compatibility files
37 > for reading non-mandatory files using a web browser doesn't sound
38 > anywhere near progress.
39
40 That depends on how you define what is being progressed in; also if you
41 don't want to see compatibility, then yes, it is not progress for you.
42
43 > > > > > That said, I'd rather see people using *tools* to display
44 > > > > > Markdown rather than converting everything 90s-style.
45 > > > >
46 > > > > I'd rather have a single tool that displays documentation and
47 > > > > display it really well; people are still converting things these
48 > > > > days, they will continue to do so in the future. Some things
49 > > > > aren't compatible.
50 > > >
51 > > > It's called 'less'. Open a bug against it, ask our devs to include
52 > > > a formatter in 'lesspipe'. Tadaam!
53 > >
54 > > Exactly, now this thread wants to make alternatives to that
55 > > possible; just because one tool exists doesn't mean everyone wants
56 > > to use it, there is no one size fits all solution. That's where
57 > > choice comes from.
58 >
59 > And what benefits do those 'alternatives' give us? Featurism, that's
60 > all. Implementing new features for the sake of doing something.
61 > Someone throws a random idea, let's implement it for the sake of
62 > choice.
63
64 Exactly, because an user came up with this; we're not implementing it
65 yet, we're still discussing it which doesn't mean that there is a team
66 of people that back certain decisions or implementation choices yet.
67
68 > Seriously, how many people actually *care* about
69 > reading /usr/share/doc with a HTML browser?
70
71 That's the question; we don't have statistics on this, maybe we could
72 make this a question in a future poll.
73
74 > How many people actually need it?
75
76 Those whom need it, it's not for us to judge what they should use.
77
78 > That is, how many people get real
79 > benefit rather than shiny formatting in their favorite tool.
80
81 That's exactly one of the reasons people want to use alternatives.
82
83 > Gentoo is not about bending everything upstream provides to match
84 > every tool a particular user likes.
85
86 Actually, it is; "Because of its near-unlimited adaptability, we call
87 Gentoo a meta-distribution." — http://www.gentoo.org/main/en/about.xml
88
89 > Improving the tools give more
90 > benefit than pushing compatibility cruft.
91
92 So, instead of storing it in a format the user appreciates we instead
93 patch it up in 20 browsers and make maintenance a lot harder?
94
95 Or the other option is to implement some kind of conversion HTTP web
96 server daemon from scratch; it's a lot more work to implement, but
97 that's the only still reasonable tool I could come up with. And it
98 doesn't necessarily have to do Markdown to HTML conversion alone; it
99 could possible be used to yield PDFs on the fly, have an interface you
100 can use to browse and search /usr/share/doc and so on...
101
102 Implementing such daemon wouldn't follow the KISS principle anymore.
105 With kind regards,
106
107 Tom Wijsman (TomWij)
108 Gentoo Developer
109
110 E-mail address : TomWij@g.o
111 GPG Public Key : 6D34E57D
112 GPG Fingerprint : C165 AF18 AB4C 400B C3D2 ABF0 95B2 1FCD 6D34 E57D