From: "Michał Górny" <mgorny@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Cc: TomWij@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] markdown docs like README.md
Date: Wed, 25 Sep 2013 18:08:02
1 Dnia 2013-09-25, o godz. 14:29:52
2 Tom Wijsman <TomWij@g.o> napisał(a):
3
4 > > > > 3) adding some more ugly awful magic that will make binary
5 > > > > packages even less useful.
6 > > >
7 > > > For binary packages a choice has to be made; trying to solve things
8 > > > for binary packages is like discussing something to be implemented
9 > > > on a binary distro, you simply can't bring the usefulness we are
10 > > > discussing here to a binary package because of its nature.
11 > >
12 > > Which is not reason to make it even worse.
13 >
14 > Neither is it a reason to stop progress.
15
16 Excuse me but *how* is this related to progress at all? You're talking
17 about converting *newer* format files to *older* format that will
18 require special processing for display anyway.
19
20 Worse than that, you are actually talking about doing the conversion
21 *on files*, that is storing duplicate data. I'd expect progress to go
22 *forward*. Introducing compatibility files for reading non-mandatory
23 files using a web browser doesn't sound anywhere near progress.
24
25 > > > > That said, I'd rather see people using *tools* to display Markdown
26 > > > > rather than converting everything 90s-style.
27 > > >
28 > > > I'd rather have a single tool that displays documentation and
29 > > > display it really well; people are still converting things these
30 > > > days, they will continue to do so in the future. Some things aren't
31 > > > compatible.
32 > >
33 > > It's called 'less'. Open a bug against it, ask our devs to include
34 > > a formatter in 'lesspipe'. Tadaam!
35 >
36 > Exactly, now this thread wants to make alternatives to that possible;
37 > just because one tool exists doesn't mean everyone wants to use it,
38 > there is no one size fits all solution. That's where choice comes from.
39
40 And what benefits do those 'alternatives' give us? Featurism, that's
41 all. Implementing new features for the sake of doing something. Someone
42 throws a random idea, let's implement it for the sake of choice.
43
44 Seriously, how many people actually *care* about reading /usr/share/doc
45 with a HTML browser? How many people actually need it? That is, how
46 many people get real benefit rather than shiny formatting in their
47 favorite tool.
48
49 Gentoo is not about bending everything upstream provides to match every
50 tool a particular user likes. Improving the tools give more benefit
51 than pushing compatibility cruft.
54 Best regards,
55 Michał Górny