From: Samuli Suominen <ssuominen@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] libxul.so in gentoo
Date: Mon, 22 Oct 2012 07:34:37
1 On 22/10/12 03:52, Chí-Thanh Christopher Nguyễn wrote:
2 > Jauhien Piatlicki schrieb:
3 >> Both firefox and thunderbird have xul library. Before there was a
4 >> separate package xulrunner in the tree, but as Mozilla does not
5 >> provide it as a separate package now (as far as I remember) both
6 >> firefox and thunderbird use there own libxul.so.
7 >
8 > That is not correct. Mozilla does provide xulrunner, released in sync
9 > with firefox versions:
10 > http://ftp.mozilla.org/pub/mozilla.org/xulrunner/releases/
11 >
12 > It was decided some time ago to remove xulrunner from Gentoo (bug 403415).
13
14 Please note that I've helped with that bug only to get rid of the
15 ***ancient vulnerable*** copies of xulrunner from tree
16
17 This is actually news to me that they ship separate xulrunner still.
18
19 The Gentoo mozilla@ members led me to believe it would need to be
20 splitted from Firefox instead -- and that webkit-gtk, webkit-qt,
21 spidermonkey, and npapi-sdk would serve the purpose instead.
22
23 And well, indeed, we managed to convert into those by only lastriting
24 *one* ancient application from tree.
25
26 But if there are still new applications out that still want to use the
27 actual libxul and co. I have no objections whatsoever in reintroducing
28 it with up-to-date version in tree. However, Gentoo @mozilla team might
29 disagree.
32 >> It seems this is the same library (Or am I wrong?). So may be it
33 >> could be splitted into a separate package? (The reason is its
34 >> compilation takes a lot of time on week machines and compiling it
35 >> one time would be better than twice). Also as far as I can see
36 >> xulrunner is splitted into a separate package in Debian and at
37 >> least Iceweasel uses it.
38 >
39 > Building firefox, thunderbird or seamonkey against xulrunner is
40 > possible, but not a supported configuration by Mozilla.
41
42 Upstreams know best. Not. Now after hearing all this, it seems the
43 mozilla team went wrong direction -- As in, instead of helping to get
44 rid of the old xulrunner from tree, I should have been putting my time
45 in adding the updated xulrunner to tree...
46
47 A bit disappointing overall.
48
49 - Samuli