From: "Jory A. Pratt" <anarchy@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] libxul.so in gentoo
Date: Mon, 22 Oct 2012 13:25:12
2 Hash: SHA1
3
4 On 10/22/2012 02:29 AM, Samuli Suominen wrote:
5 > On 22/10/12 03:52, Chí-Thanh Christopher Nguyễn wrote:
6 >> Jauhien Piatlicki schrieb:
7 >>> Both firefox and thunderbird have xul library. Before there was
8 >>> a separate package xulrunner in the tree, but as Mozilla does
9 >>> not provide it as a separate package now (as far as I remember)
10 >>> both firefox and thunderbird use there own libxul.so.
11 >>
12 >> That is not correct. Mozilla does provide xulrunner, released in
13 >> sync with firefox versions:
14 >> http://ftp.mozilla.org/pub/mozilla.org/xulrunner/releases/
15 >>
16 >> It was decided some time ago to remove xulrunner from Gentoo
17 >> (bug 403415).
18 >
19 > Please note that I've helped with that bug only to get rid of the
20 > ***ancient vulnerable*** copies of xulrunner from tree
21 >
22 > This is actually news to me that they ship separate xulrunner
23 > still.
24 >
25 > The Gentoo mozilla@ members led me to believe it would need to be
26 > splitted from Firefox instead -- and that webkit-gtk, webkit-qt,
27 > spidermonkey, and npapi-sdk would serve the purpose instead.
28 >
29 > And well, indeed, we managed to convert into those by only
30 > lastriting *one* ancient application from tree.
31 >
32 > But if there are still new applications out that still want to use
33 > the actual libxul and co. I have no objections whatsoever in
34 > reintroducing it with up-to-date version in tree. However, Gentoo
35 > @mozilla team might disagree.
38 >>> It seems this is the same library (Or am I wrong?). So may be
39 >>> it could be splitted into a separate package? (The reason is
40 >>> its compilation takes a lot of time on week machines and
41 >>> compiling it one time would be better than twice). Also as far
42 >>> as I can see xulrunner is splitted into a separate package in
43 >>> Debian and at least Iceweasel uses it.
44 >>
45 >> Building firefox, thunderbird or seamonkey against xulrunner is
46 >> possible, but not a supported configuration by Mozilla.
47 >
48 > Upstreams know best. Not. Now after hearing all this, it seems the
49 > mozilla team went wrong direction -- As in, instead of helping to
50 > get rid of the old xulrunner from tree, I should have been putting
51 > my time in adding the updated xulrunner to tree...
52 >
53 > A bit disappointing overall.
54 >
55 > - Samuli
58 Goes to show you do not understand what you are talking about. The
59 only way to use libxul from version 5 on would have been to provide a
60 symlink into firefox/thunderbird/seamonkey as the system gre was
61 killed. This prevents any clean upgrade path hense the removal.
62
63 - --
65 Jory A. Pratt
66 Gentoo Linux: Developer, Mozilla Lead
67 E-Mail : anarchy@g.o
68 GnuPG FP : 1846 8624 BD44 FDAC 96E2 3E9E 8BBF 7F40 9019 241D