From: Antoni Grzymala <awaria@××××××××××.pl>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] [rfc] layman storage location (again)
Date: Sat, 16 Jan 2010 21:38:11
1 Mike Frysinger dixit (2010-01-15, 20:45):
2
3 > On Friday 15 January 2010 20:24:38 Sebastian Pipping wrote:
4 > > On 01/16/10 00:33, Jorge Manuel B. S. Vicetto wrote:
5 > > > - From the alternatives, /var/lib/layman doesn't sound right. If
6 > > > /var/cache/layman doesn't work, what about /var/spool/layman instead?
7 > >
8 > > Okay, how about
9 > >
10 > > /var/spool/layman
11 > >
12 > > then? Any objections?
13 >
14 > /var/spool/ is a terrible idea -- these are not jobs being queued waiting to
15 > be processed by a daemon and then removed.
16 >
17 > if you want to keep all of layman's stuff together, then about your only
18 > option is to create your own tree at like /var/layman/. the better idea
19 > though would be to split your stuff along the proper lines.
20 >
21 > cache files = /var/cache/layman/
22 > config files = /etc/layman/
23
24 Layman-added trees are not much different altogether from the main
25 portage tree. Putting it in a location *totally* unrelated to the main
26 portage tree is, to put it mildly, *strange*. We still haven't heard in
27 this thread what was wrong with the original (${PORTDIR}/local/)
28 location. Despite all the propositions in the thread it still feels like
29 a best place to me. I'm sure the change to /usr/local/portage has been
30 discussed elsewhere previously, but maybe a pointer to some older
31 discussion would be handy.
32
33 I'm all for going back to the original location (based on ${PORTDIR}).
34
35 Best,
38 [a]