From: "Paweł Hajdan
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] does v8 shared library make sense with current upstream approach?
Date: Tue, 24 Sep 2013 18:47:13
1 On 9/22/13 5:24 PM, Peter Stuge wrote:
2 > "Paweł Hajdan, Jr." wrote:
3 >> "compiling with versions of v8 other than what is included is not
4 >> currently supported."
5 > ..
6 >> For now V8 upstream gives no guarantees about API/ABI stability and
7 >> actually breaks it very often
8 >
9 > I agree that it isn't worth the effort to try to offer V8 as a
10 > library then.
11
12 Perfect.
13
14 > As soon as upstream stabilizes one API/ABI I think it would be wise
15 > to make a package providing that as a library.
16
17 Yes, and I'll be trying to move upstream in that direction.
18
19 > Not everybody understands it but actually it isn't a library if there
20 > isn't a stable API/ABI.
21
22 Thanks for mentioning that. Totally agreed. At least applicable to a
23 shared library.
24
25 Paweł