From: Roy Bamford <neddyseagoon@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] gen_usr_ldscript & --libdir=/lib
Date: Sat, 29 Dec 2012 00:52:25
1 On 2012.12.27 22:13, William Hubbs wrote:
2 > On Thu, Dec 27, 2012 at 03:14:37PM -0500, Rich Freeman wrote:
3 > > Something I don't like about this whole debate is that it tends to
4 > > come off as "I've never run an initramfs and darn it I want to keep
5 > it
6 > > that way." Gentoo has always been a cutting-edge/innovative
7 > distro.
8 > > We have prefix, hardened, x32, and we were among the first to
9 > support
10 > > amd64. Sure, that flexibility also lets you get away without an
11 > > initramfs where other distros simply cannot. However, the lack of
12 > an
13 > > initramfs should not be a crutch.
14 >
15 > Rich,
16 >
17 > you just hit my concern about this debate right on the head. I feel
18 > like
19 > the nay-sayers are opposed to it because of the FHS, and the idea of
20 > critical software going in / and everything else in /usr. The
21 > attitude
22 > seems to be that has always worked, so it must continue to work into
23 > the
24 > future, with no regard to the advantages that moving everything to
25 > /usr
26 > would give us.
27 >
28 > Another concern I've heard says that we shouldn't do this on linux
29 > because gentoo *bsd doesn't do it. I don't see that as relevant
30 > because ebuilds can be smart enough to test whether they are being
31 > emerged on Linux or *BSD.
32 >
33 > William
37 I don't think the 'luddites' have quite so black and white a view as
38 that but if I expand on it much more, I'll reignite a flamewar we have
39 already had.
42 Regards,
43
44 Roy Bamford