From: William Hubbs <williamh@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] gen_usr_ldscript & --libdir=/lib
Date: Thu, 27 Dec 2012 22:14:43
1 On Thu, Dec 27, 2012 at 03:14:37PM -0500, Rich Freeman wrote:
2 > Something I don't like about this whole debate is that it tends to
3 > come off as "I've never run an initramfs and darn it I want to keep it
4 > that way." Gentoo has always been a cutting-edge/innovative distro.
5 > We have prefix, hardened, x32, and we were among the first to support
6 > amd64. Sure, that flexibility also lets you get away without an
7 > initramfs where other distros simply cannot. However, the lack of an
8 > initramfs should not be a crutch.
9
10 Rich,
11
12 you just hit my concern about this debate right on the head. I feel like
13 the nay-sayers are opposed to it because of the FHS, and the idea of
14 critical software going in / and everything else in /usr. The attitude
15 seems to be that has always worked, so it must continue to work into the
16 future, with no regard to the advantages that moving everything to /usr
17 would give us.
18
19 Another concern I've heard says that we shouldn't do this on linux
20 because gentoo *bsd doesn't do it. I don't see that as relevant
21 because ebuilds can be smart enough to test whether they are being
22 emerged on Linux or *BSD.
23
24 William