From: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Re: baselayout-1.13 going into ~ARCH soon
Date: Tue, 07 Nov 2006 15:08:33
1 Roy Marples <uberlord@g.o> posted
2 200611071058.54068.uberlord@g.o, excerpted below, on Tue, 07 Nov
3 2006 10:58:53 +0000:
4
5 > Actually, before I do that, let me attack this from another angle.
6 > What do you gain from keeping it mounted as a ramdisk?
7 > If the answer is performance, well you loose performance at start time as
8 > you've lost the deptree.
9 >
10 > So why would you want to keep it?
11
12 Well, as you point out it's mixed from a performance angle. One reason
13 I'm beginning to appreciate a bit more now that I have a tmpfs mounted
14 /tmp as well, however, is the clean start at every boot thing.
15 Eliminating even the possibility of trouble from stale or corrupted
16 carryover has its own >0 benefits.
17
18 Back to performance, however, the deptree rebuild isn't as much of a
19 pull-down as one might expect, for a number of reasons. Keep in mind that
20 perhaps the biggest boot-time bottleneck is disk read bandwidth anyway.
21 Preloading all those scripts effectively at once therefore has three
22 overlapping effects. 1) There's the direct disk read bandwidth, but that
23 would come in somewhere anyway when the scripts are actually executed. 2)
24 Having them all loaded at once gives the filesystem elevator scheduler a
25 bigger chance to do its thing, ordering the reads appropriately for better
26 efficency. 3) Once it comes time to actually run the scripts, they are
27 already loaded into cache, so no waiting to read them in then, simply
28 virtually instant execution.
29
30 Thus, while the performance benefit won't be great, it's likely to be
31 there, and there's the "system hygiene" (I believe that's a decently
32 accurate label) benefit as well.
33
34 So, keeping it at minimum an option is IMO a good thing. If as proposed
35 we make it standard, there are other benefits including serious code
36 simplification as well. There could well be negatives, especially on
37 certain archs I'm not familiar with, but for x86, amd64, and probably the
38 ppc folks, at least, it sounds very reasonable from my perspective. From
39 what I've read, the particular challenges faced on MIPS may change the
40 time effects greatly there (basing this on remarks I recall from the
41 split-KDE debate, but I haven't the foggiest whether that applies here
42 or not), so I'd be interested in seeing someone address it from their
43 perspective.
48 and if you use the program, he is your master." Richard Stallman
51 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list