From: Roy Marples <uberlord@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: baselayout-1.13 going into ~ARCH soon
Date: Tue, 07 Nov 2006 11:03:29
1 On Tuesday 07 November 2006 10:50, Roy Marples wrote:
2 > > I'm using that now and hope to keep it. I went with the suggested
3 > > size=2m (tmpfs). df says 184KB used, so that's quite big enough and then
4 > > some, but on Linux the free space isn't actually allocated until it's no
5 > > longer free space, so no matter. Are you saying the BSDs would allocate
6 > > and therefore remove from further use the full 2MB, no way around it,
7 > > even if only 148KB is actually used?
8 >
9 > Which demonstrates that you don't know about tmpfs as you don't specify any
10 > size for it - it just uses what it needs.
11 >
12 > And yes, the BSD's will use the full 2MB.
13 >
14 > Actually I forgot about the option allowing you todo this. It will be
15 > supported in the next version, although the variable name specified
16 > in /etc/conf.d/rc will change to match out existing RC_ names, the old one
17 > will still work.
18
19 Actually, before I do that, let me attack this from another angle.
20 What do you gain from keeping it mounted as a ramdisk?
21 If the answer is performance, well you loose performance at start time as
22 you've lost the deptree.
23
24 So why would you want to keep it?
27 Roy Marples <uberlord@g.o>
28 Gentoo/Linux/FreeBSD Developer (baselayout, networking)
29 --
30 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list