From: Dan Armak <danarmak@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: RFC: qt.eclass
Date: Sat, 02 Jul 2005 12:54:34
1 On Saturday 02 July 2005 14:43, foser wrote:
2 > On Fri, 2005-07-01 at 18:33 +0300, Dan Armak wrote:
3 > > > calling a function in a global scope is a bad idea. it leads to lots of
4 > > > unneccessary (and timely) computations
5 > >
6 > > Necessary in the case of kde split ebuilds. Take a look at
7 > > kde-functions.eclass::deprange().
8 >
9 > So you create functions to do things portage really should do ? Wouldn't
10 > pushing the portage team to finally implement a major feature like
11 > depranges be a better idea ?
12 They said a major feature like dep version ranges would never be in a stable
13 portage 2.0.x, so I wrote deprange() as a temporary stop-gap measure because
14 there was no other feasible way to write the split kde ebuilds. The request
15 is in bug 33545.
16
17 Maybe I didn't push them enough :-/
20 > The gnome team has been dealing with these things forever, but we have a
21 > preference for a global solution instead of inventing our own wheel.
22 I've a preference for that too, I just wasn't up to writing a patch for
23 portage at the time. Maybe I should try to do that now, depending on their
24 answer to my new comment in 33545...
27 Dan Armak
28 Gentoo Linux developer (KDE)
29 Public GPG key: http://dev.gentoo.org/~danarmak/danarmak-gpg-public.key
30 Fingerprint: DD70 DBF9 E3D4 6CB9 2FDD 0069 508D 9143 8D5F 8951