From: "William L. Thomson Jr." <wlt-ml@××××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] OT Who runs Gentoo was -> RFC: Userkit.eclass
Date: Sat, 03 Dec 2016 21:49:30
1 On Saturday, December 3, 2016 11:27:20 AM EST Brian Dolbec wrote:
2 >
3 > I think you will find that ChromeOS is not really based on Gentoo, but
4 > built using Gentoo as the base os it IS built from. It is still Linux
5 > based, but ChromeOS doe not use ebuilds and such for normal
6 > operations. But the binary pkgs that build it are custom built using
7 > Gentoo's ebuild system and modified package management systems.
8
9 All that sounds like it is based on Gentoo. Its packages before they turn them
10 into binaries are ebuilds.
11
12 > The
13 > final resulting OS has it's own methods of updating itself and
14 > installing the binaries. (At least that is the way it was some years
15 > ago, last I had looked)
16
17 Yes, but if you want to modify any binaries etc, you are back to ebuilds. If
18 you want to add a new package not available its the same thing. They use
19 overlay concepts etc.
20
21 I do get ChromeOS is very different, kinda like Android, you must flash images
22 you build. No installing it in the normal sense.
23
24 No matter what terms you use, Google uses Gentoo to build products it makes
25 money off. In that sense I think it could give back allot. If not in
26 donations, resources (tinderbox), etc.
29 William L. Thomson Jr.