From: Brian Dolbec <dolsen@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] OT Who runs Gentoo was -> RFC: Userkit.eclass
Date: Sat, 03 Dec 2016 21:56:54
1 On Sat, 03 Dec 2016 16:49:19 -0500
2 "William L. Thomson Jr." <wlt-ml@××××××.com> wrote:
3
4 > On Saturday, December 3, 2016 11:27:20 AM EST Brian Dolbec wrote:
5 > >
6 > > I think you will find that ChromeOS is not really based on Gentoo,
7 > > but built using Gentoo as the base os it IS built from. It is
8 > > still Linux based, but ChromeOS doe not use ebuilds and such for
9 > > normal operations. But the binary pkgs that build it are custom
10 > > built using Gentoo's ebuild system and modified package management
11 > > systems.
12 >
13 > All that sounds like it is based on Gentoo. Its packages before they
14 > turn them into binaries are ebuilds.
15 >
16 > > The
17 > > final resulting OS has it's own methods of updating itself and
18 > > installing the binaries. (At least that is the way it was some
19 > > years ago, last I had looked)
20 >
21 > Yes, but if you want to modify any binaries etc, you are back to
22 > ebuilds. If you want to add a new package not available its the same
23 > thing. They use overlay concepts etc.
24 >
25 > I do get ChromeOS is very different, kinda like Android, you must
26 > flash images you build. No installing it in the normal sense.
27 >
28 > No matter what terms you use, Google uses Gentoo to build products it
29 > makes money off. In that sense I think it could give back allot. If
30 > not in donations, resources (tinderbox), etc.
33 Well, It does give back some. I know there are times patches are
34 pushed to gentoo from them. Plus we get financial support from them
35 via the Google Summer Of Code. It has been pointed out recently that
36 the majority of our available funds have come from the GSOC. Not only
37 that, but it also helps us get new developers to work with and further
38 Gentoo projects.
41 Brian Dolbec <dolsen>